Monday, November 21, 2005

Of paint and leeks and choo choo trains

Well, there is no earthshattering news to report but I just felt the urge to blog.

It is raining hard outside and I just heard a long roll of thunder- either that or Brad just dropped all the chairs he was juggling upstairs. He has the day off. Did I tell you he started working at a Wolf Camera store in the mall last week?

We just got back from a morning of errands, among which was a trip to Lowe's to pick out paint and painting accoutrements for the kitchen. I have successfully stripped all the wallpaper off the kitchen walls and am eagerly looking forward to the transformation at hand. It's kind of humbling talking to the paint guy in Lowe's. Um- what kind of finish do I want? Uh...I don't knoooow...What do YOU think?... Oh good grief. You can tell I'm an ultra-amateur. I've painted before, but not that much. And it was a long time ago. Luckily, it's basically only one wall that needs to be painted.

The vegetarian thing went well last week. I tried some new stuff and found a couple things I will probably make again- and some that I definitely WON'T try again. The phyllo dough Mushroom-Tofu-Savory Pie thing was an unmitigated disaster, presentation-wise, although Brad did say he liked how it tasted. It was okay but not worth all the trouble. And the edges were so crispy and brown that it was like eating burnt newspaper. But I did like the tortellini asparagus salad that we had last Monday night and the crustless Leek n' Mushroom Tofu Quiche I made last night. ( We had cous-cous and a green salad along with it.) Yes, I cooked with LEEKS this week! Why does the "Let us Take up our Baggage" song say "onions and leeks"? They might just as well have said " onions and onions." I always thought leeks were more of a bean thing b/c they were part of the legume family but they're really more like giant green onions. Ah, well, it's not the first time I've been wrong. Anyway- I don't think we're headed back to the fleshpots of Egypt quite yet. Lentils are on the menu tonight! We'll continue on our vegetarian path until this Thursday...when we partake of The Turkey. Heh, heh.

On Friday I drove Pari ( and Joshua) to her doctor's appointment where we heard the baby's heartbeat! Joshua commented that he thought it was a "choo choo" which I thought was hilarious and a great story to tell to his little sister someday. ( We had just been in a deep conversation about Thomas the Tank...and it did sound kind of like a train...) It was pretty amazing to hear such a sound.

And I guess that's the news from Lake Woebegone- where all the women are...uh...not total weaklings, all the men are very good looking, and all the children...have not yet come into being.

10 comments:

Booker said...

So what is up with Bradley working at Wolf? Did Ritz get wise and fire him? for all of his clowning around? heh, heh, heh. Hope he likes this new place anyway.

and thanks for blogging just because. I like those kind of blogs alot :)

Brad said...

Wolf = Ritz. Wolf camera was bought by David Ritz a few years ago (Chuck Wolf was his cousin). Since they already had a lot of name recognition with Wolf in the south, they kept the name. I keep messing up on the phone, though, saying Ritz instead of Wolf. And I have never once clowned around at work. Never.

Claire said...

What about the pictures I have of you doing karate kicks and taking wild leaps in the middle of the store? Does that count as proof that you have clowned around at work...at least once?

TripleNine said...

Take a poll! Post the pics and let people vote whether Brad was clowning or not. Though considering his past history my vote already goes for yay.

Good post and great ending.

Claire said...

Wes- Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pictures on here...I rely on Brad to do that and there's no way HE'S going to post THOSE pics...Brad tried to teach me how to post pics but it never stuck in my brain.

Sojourning - No, we're not true vegetarians. We just wanted to experiment w/ it for a little while, just for fun, and to try out some new vegetarian recipes, broadening our culinary horizons. Yes, do send along the pumpkin risotto recipe! Mayhap I'll work that into next weeks' lineup of dinners...

Laughter said...

Of course he was... though it'd still be amusing to see those pictures.

*raises hand* Yea!

Loreo said...

Love those Lake Woebegone stories! I listened to a bunch of them on tape at work, and it was hard not to bust out laughing at times. :)

KW said...

Claire!

Leeks are delish. VERY common here, and I actually didn't know that they were easy to find in the US, so sprised to hear you got them. I have a yummy pasta recipe that has leeks in it.

redsoxwinthisyear said...

"All the children...have not yet come into being." Claire, are you being prophetic? Have a secret to share with us? :-) Or are you referring to Pari's baby (whom I would humbly submit already is a child come into being)?

lis said...

I am so impressed with your menu list! Sounds like you are well on your way to being a gourmet cook!