Sunday, February 15, 2009

2009: The Year of the Selfish Valentine

For Valentine's Day, I surprised Brad with a grill. I can NEVER surprise Brad so I'm quite pleased with myself for pulling this off. But I felt a bit shady. I thought to myself, as I purchased the grill and the grill accessories ( that's kind of a girly word...um...is tools better?) that it's kind of a selfish gift. Happy Valentine's Day, darling: you may now cook for me! But he's actually been wanting a grill for a while - and I knew this. So I was happy to oblige. Plus, now, we can have people over for barbeques and the like. Yay! Suddenly our world will explode into an exciting whirl of social-butterflyness. Um, no. Sorry to disappoint, but I doubt that either one of us will ever emerge from our comfortable, introverted cocoons to become social butterflies. But whatever. I digress.

I went to Lowe's to purchase the grill... and I told Philip ahead of time that I was going. I think he was a little miffed that I wasn't taking him but handling Aiden, a cart, and a wheelchair would have been a bit much. It was weird being at Lowe's without Philip; I would hear the beep-beep of the forklift and have to stop myself from instinctively running toward it. Like a moth to a flame...( Boy, winged creatures are popping up all over this post. Butterflies, moths...I suppose bats are next. ) I saw a few of Philip's employee friends and they were astonished to see me without Philip but happy to meet Aiden. A couple of the forklift guys said to him, "I knew you before you were born!" It made me smile.

I came home from buying the grill and guess who came to the door? The neighbor boy...with steaks! What timing! Yes, these foody neighbors are going in the Hall of Neighborly Fame!
( THEN...yesterday...they sent their daughter over with...wait for it...a WHOLE CHICKEN...which we cooked all day Sunday in the crockpot. It made for a sumptuous dinner. It's all we can do to keep up with eating the glorious food that gets thrown at us by our neighbors!) We didn't actually grill the steaks yet b/c we haven't assembled the grill - ahem, HE hasn't assembled the grill yet, there will be no WE about it.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, I know, next they'll send over half a dozen tender bats, for grilling.

Eww! I'm so grossed out!

Sorry, but I was trying to get the bats in there somewhere.

Linda said...

Dearest Claire,
Our grill at this point is only uncovered to the top and some of the bottom (Weber). Mark says that he CAN reach the grill and start grilling but he's ridiculous. Actually the 6-10 inches of wet snow will again submerge the grill until spring arrives. I was just thinking of you and thought it would be wonderful to see you again. Your blog always brings me closer to you. An update with us, both my mother-in-law and my father-in-law have passed. We are grieving but realize that this was part of a great Plan. Be well, my friend...and grill away!
Linda