Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grandpa: Music Video Connaisseur... Extraordinaire

Recently, I took Grandpa to get his hair cut. I sat in the waiting area, absorbed in brain training on Brad's Nintendo DS. ( It's this little program where you do all these little exercises to keep your brain sharp. Gotta keep that old gray matter in shape, even if the rest of me is one big flabby noodle. ) I started to falter a bit in this endeavor; I lost my concentration, listening to Grandpa's interaction with the girl cutting his hair.

She was asking him if he liked watching sports, and he gave a rather noncommittal reply, and added that he watches videos. "Oh! Like music videos?" said the slightly airheaded young thing. "Yeah!" said Grandpa. I grinned to myself as I pictured what each was thinking, as if they had those little cartoon thought bubbles over their heads. The girl was thinking, "MTV music videos" and Grandpa was thinking, "Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Girl, what kind of 85 year old man watches MTV?!

I don't know WHAT Grandpa was thinking when she started talking about You-Tube.

5 comments:

wideyed said...

you know what? I really did lol at this post. Hiccupy silly laughter...I wonder if that girl had even ever heard of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

KJ said...

Hahaha! Two generations colliding can be hilarious! Some times it boggles my mind at what a rate technology took the world into a whole new playing field.... and those who lived through the whole transition, like Mr. P, have witnessed so much change!

Shari said...

Lol. Great story. Our 19-year-old niece is living with us right now and going to college locally. Brent said something about Paul Newman the other day and Bree said "Paul who?" And she's never heard of the group Heart. It's just funny. :-)

ljm said...

What an awesome story!

Um, also...I need me some of that brain training. I'll have to check that out.

Anonymous said...

Now don't tell me you're neglecting your therapy again! You know you need this blog, Claire : )

Love from Gretchen