Sunday, May 29, 2005

Talk about Raining on the Parade...

I am currently sitting in Keene's Ritz Camera, visiting Brad. I just checked for comments on my last post...and found no new feedback. Brad scrolled down through the long entry, and said that it was TOO LONG...Actually, "TMI" were his exact words...er, letters. "See?" he said. " Only Derrick made it all the way through." So I am blogging with the intent to be brief and show him that I can in fact, rein in my loquacious ways, AND use paragraphs.

I just took part in a Memorial Day parade. Well, not really. To be truthful, I was stuck waiting as the Memorial Day parade trotted out onto 101 in Marlborough about five or six cars ahead of me. I could have kicked myself, being not a little irritated. It's not even Memorial Day yet! I had just been weighing the options of whether to get gas at Wilbers or wait until tomorrow to get gas. I decided to get it today...If I hadn't done that, I would have missed being trapped by the parade. I felt a small pang of something ( evil joy maybe) because it had just started to seriously rain as the parade swung out onto 101. Ha. But as I sat there, being irritated at this delay, I realized that by sitting there in the rain, listening to my stomach growl with hunger, adopting a good attitude, letting the parade go ahead of me, I was honoring many a brave soldier who had risked his life to ensure my liberty. To zoom ahead, horn honking, risking life and limb, and scattering pedestrians in my wake would not have been honoring them. So I decided to honor them. And then I called Brad and we talked. I'm glad cell phones were invented. I can honor my country and talk to my husband at the same time. Modern life is indeed marvelous.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, Claire, my opinion is that Marlborough should try Dublin's trick of re-routing the traffic. But it's kind of interesting to hear how parades are from the view of those stuck in traffic... I've not thought too much about those who do get stuck behind the Dublin parade on Monday except to laugh at their dilemma! Poor you but I'm glad you were able to turn it into a good time of chatter with Bradly. I like you guys!
Nice picture by the way....

Booker said...

Long posts are the best! Don't let that evil Bradley tell you otherwise. And doom on early parades...

Aaron said...

I made it through, too, albeit a couple days late. And I wasn't bored a bit.

TripleNine said...

I can ditto the comments about making it through and being thoroughly interested. It is hard to make a comment on that much info though.