Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mr. Charli-Doll Goes to Washington

I was talking with Grandpa the other day and the subject of Charli-dolls came up, as it often does. He mentioned the fact that through the years, he has sent Charli-dolls to various presidents. It just made me smile to think of the White House Gift Opener as they encountered the present from Grandpa. I wonder if somewhere in the bowels of some archive building, those Charli-dolls still exist, or if they have been thrown away long ago or devoured by some hungry staffer. Hmmm. President Reagan liked jelly beans, so maybe he ate the jelly bellies. And it made me wonder- what other unusual things show up in the White House mail?

Grandpa hasn't made Charli-dolls for several years now and I'm sure the current President Bush hasn't received one. I suppose it's time for us to continue the tradition and send the White House a doll. After all, Christmas is coming!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What exactly IS a Charli-doll?

Claire said...

It's an invention of Grandpa's - a yarn doll with a plastic egg head filled with jelly bellies and a body of Lifesavers. See Brad's video post of April 18th 2006. Grandpa can't make them anymore, so Brad makes them for him. Grendpep loves to give them away to the neighborhood kids.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, the whole idea of those C-dolls creeps me out. I haven't a clue why either, and that makes it even worse.

Well, maybe the Prez wouldn't be creeped out :-)

TripleNine said...

Hey if you're lucky, the president will get to see it, love it, show it on tv, and have it made into a nationally acclaimed movie. Then charlie-dolls will be all be famous and you can go into business making them. Sell the business in a few years and retire for life. Wow, you guys really know how to plan :)

lis said...

Charli-dolls were part of my childhood, and they are cool.

In other news, I miss you too, Clairita. Hope your Thanksgiving is truly smashing!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Did he give one to President Clinton? If so, maybe Prof. Salerno opened it and sent a thank you note back or something? That would be funny!