Sunday, May 06, 2007

SOMETHING

I don't really have much to say but I am itching to write SOMETHING ... and I haven't updated since last month- gasp. So here is a brief update of my life:

The job is going well and keeping me quite busy. On Friday, I took my protege to Wal-Mart. Every week, I am supposed to take him on a "community outing" and we go to the destination of his choice. Apparently, he's a big fan of our nation's number one retailer. So we went to the local outpost and cruised the aisles looking at merchandise from Communist China, but he didn't end up buying anything. ( Smart boy.) I can't decide whether my favorite part was when I tried out the hula hoops or when I put silly hats on him and took pictures.

This week I'm going in to his school for a few hours to observe him in the classroom.

Right now I'm reading "The Indian in the Cupboard" with him. It's a book that was read to me when I was in fourth grade, by the beloved Mrs. Roland. I really loved it then, and I hope that my student will feel the same way about it by the end.

I'm hoping to do some Mother's Day activities with him this week. If the stars align and all that, we may come up with some sort of masterpiece for his mom.

Well, I can sense this is waning into drivel. Sigh. I'll try to do better next time.

9 comments:

Aaron said...

The drivel of Claire is worth the best ideas of ten philosophers! (That is, as far as interestingness. :)

I like your new header photo.

Amy said...

Not drivel, interesting update! :) And it sounds like you're good for him.

Protege is a very good term...considerably better than pupil. :)

Booker said...

I take it you are NOT a fan of walmart?

ljm said...

I like the new title photo/design...snazzy!

Anonymous said...

Claire! I just picked up a copy of The Indian in the Cupboard at the Dublin Rummage Sale for 50 cents last Friday and was thrilled...I too have fond memories of my beloved elementary school teacher, Mrs. Forsten, reading it to our class. I can't remember which grade, because I was lucky enough to have her for 3rd, 4th, and I think 6th, because of some swapping around. But anyway, good memories. I'm delighted to know you know it too, and I'm really looking forward to reading it to the boys.

Anonymous said...

No wait, it was a paperback: make that 25 cents!

Anonymous said...

Walmart is a puzzle to me- I am a supporter of capitalism but I am also an opponent of China, cheap un-American goods, sweat shops, and big bully monopolies...but I'm a supporter of freedom and Adam Smith and laissez faire or whatever that fancy phrase is that means "let the market decide"...and all that stuff...

So I'm conflicted.

kw said...

Stars align!?!?

Claire said...

Welllll...I'm learning that sometimes small miracles have to happen in order to get my plans accomplished with him...for various reasons. Things just crop up or he doesn't want to do something or we have technical difficulties...