Thursday, March 31, 2005

A plethora of paraphrases

It is incredibly good to be home. And we have found a semblance of spring-like-ness awaiting our arrival! Driving to work now reminds me of the verse in Isaiah, " Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low...the crooked made straight..." ( Okay- so that's maybe not it exactly, but it's a paraphrase! I'm too lazy to go look it up!) ...because, the frost heaves, my old enemies, have begun to slither down to normalcy again.

My return to work went well, although it did take me about a day to get back into the swing o' things. My supervisor, Matt, practically screamed my name in welcome when he came in on Wednesday morning (Well- there's no 'practically' about it- he did scream - sort of. Well, it was more of an insane squawk.) because apparently, it had been a really wild house while I was gone. I mean- SUPER bad. Worse than I have ever experienced...and I dodged the bullet! I am SO LUCKY! I guess God's timing is pretty good, huh? A snowstorm AND the Shelter in bedlam while I'm away; I know it's mean but I just had to smile and say, " YES!"

We got a letter at work from a former resident of the Shelter. She had been with us for 90 days- an exception to our 60 day rule and she had become very dear to all of us. She sent her report card with the letter and she made the honor roll! I was so happy to hear from her and find how well she's doing in her long term placement. Here, paraphrased, is a sentence from the letter which I found pretty funny. ( Just so you know, Randa, the program manager at the Shelter, brings her dog Red in to work almost every day. And K---- refers to another former resident of the Shelter who is now in the same long term program as this girl.) The girl wrote something like this, " I really miss Red a lot. There are no animals here but K---- is my roomate." That just struck my funny bone...as if to say, No animals - but, hey K---- is my roomie, so...close enough!

Did I mention it's good to be back home again? As the old song says - and again, I paraphrase
( & change a word) : "...sometimes, this old apartment feels like a long lost friend..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're safely home, Claire, and that your visit was a good one. I loved your reports and the luscious pictures! I think we're all starved for COLOR! How happy that you hit the end of our little springy spell, though I guess we're in for it again this weekend. Can't be long now that the crocus' have appeared!
~Ruth