Thursday, July 14, 2005

Carwashing- the Pinnacle of YOUR day?

Brad is gone. Wah. I got up at 4:00 this morning and went to the airport with him. I MISS HIM. ALREADY. ( And to think we used to routinely go five days, and sometimes weeks, and months without seeing each other before we were married...! How did we do that?) But it's all for a good cause. He is on a mission to bring Grandpa Charlie Pass out here to live on the East Coast. Huzzah for such an answer to prayer! This is a huge thing...literally YEARS in the making. It is so incredible to see God working this process out.

I was driving home today and heard a commercial on the radio...It was talking about how we have such hectic lives...but one way to relax was to...go to a carwash. WHAT? They said that it might be "the most satisfying thing you do all day." WHAAAAT? Okay, it might be somewhat satisfying to cross it off your list of things to do ...but The Most Satisfying Thing of Your Day? I hope I never reach that nadir where sitting in a carwash gives me fulfillment. Talk about pathetic! Ever heard of the Sabbath?

Last night we saw part of a program on TV called Brat Camp. It's basically a reality thing where troubled teens go to this wilderness therapy/correctional/challenge camp thingy...in the wilds of Oregon. Brad was intrigued. It felt to me like I was going back to work. There were a few differences between Sage Walk and the Antrim Girls' Shelter; for instance, we actually have walls and a roof, whereas they had a glorified tent, and also our facility is not co-ed...but a lot of the issues were the same. Interesting.

Signing off for now.

9 comments:

Booker said...

Keep us updated on Brat Camp if you continue to watch it. I thot the previews looked interesting, but not quite enough to watch. Plus, since I've already missed the pivotal first episode, the rest just won't make sense.

And I concur wholeheartedly with you on your sentiments about the carwash...

Mrs. RF said...

I must admit going through a car wash has never been high on my list of things to do to relax and make my day!

The rooms are all ready for Grandpa! Tuesday will be here before we know it!

Come visit Max if you get too lonely.

Shay Dawg said...

I watched brat camp last night too. It kinda interesting, hope it does them SOME good, but we all know the real source of changing your life style.
But with the car wash, I think it can be pretty satisfying. No more walking to the car and thinking "ugh, it's so dirty!" but then completely forgetting about it once you get in it then remembering again once you get out! It's awful I tell ya. Going through the car wash isn't really relaxing but I do feel a sense of peace after leaving one.=)

JBT2 said...

Wow, all these other people who saw Brat Camp (I'm not here in my own little world after all). The Demme's and I watched it last night too and thought it quite interesting. It might even be interesting enough to check up on every now and then. I quit after the first hour in favor of getting extra sleep.

Kristi said...

I've always thought carwashes were a little scary. It's like you're in some huge medieval torture device and you can't get out!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I hope your days go by fast...Thanks for the really nice
anniv. card! Do you remember the story about Lexie and the car wash? She was maybe a little over a year, and was terrified when the big brushes came out and kept saying no, no, no and crying...

Laughter said...

We took our big van through a car wash once, and the big brush got caught on the visor over the windshield and broke right through the window. Yikes!

TripleNine said...

Personally I think that the parents should be there right next to the kids. I saw maybe fifteen minutes of it and could think of nothing but 'Where have the parents been for the last 17 years?'

Booker said...

Hurrah for parental responsibility! You could have an "extreme" show about the parents, cause since they're not minors, you could do lots of "things" to them. I would love to produce a show called "Extreme Makeover: Parent Edition". They would have to fight big WWE wrestlers, learn to lasso things, ride bucking bulls, have knife fights and eat food without sugar or caffiene! A sure fire hit, please watch for it...