Saturday, July 09, 2005

This week's news

Well...it's been a long, full week. Thus, the dearth of posts. Here's an update:

Last weekend, Keith, Liane and Ethan arrived. It was a joyous reunion. I had a great time playing with Ethan; I never thought I could have so much fun running up and down the same hill over and over. " Let's do it again!" It was sweet and surreal to watch him riding around on the same blue and yellow racecar that used to be Andrew's when he was little. Amazing - last time I saw them all it was before Christmas...now Ethan can talk in complete sentences...

Let's see...On the fourth, Linda and I took some girls who had earned their privileges to MacDowell Dam for a delightful field trip. Unfortunately, no life guard being present, I had to tell the girls they couldn't really swim...but happily, they found something else to do- catch minnows...with plastic cups. They took it very seriously for a long time. Weird...but nice.

After work, I drove to Fairwood to join in the festivities of the Family Convention. As I drew near, I remembered that they were having the field day activities that day, and I realized I might stumble upon the running of the Fairwood Mile. Sure enough, as I came to the golf course, I drove by several small fry trudging along, bringing up the rear. This meant that I was shortly to arrive at the finish line and be greeted by a huge crowd. As I drove up the hill, there stood probably seventy five, eighty something people waiting for the runners. So I waved my queenly wave, and they broke into wild cheering...some of them even calling out my name. Wow. What a welcome. It felt for a short moment like I had died and was entering heaven, being greeted by the great cloud of witnesses. The analogy breaks down though; I never imagined I would enter through the Pearly Gates driving a teal 1993 Ford Taurus sedan. Do they even have cars with internal combustion engines in heaven?

Let's see...other highlights of the week were... a field trip to Pack Monadnock. It was pretty foggy so we couldn't see far but we had a good time. The girls can tell some pretty funny stories, such as one whose grandmother puts the makeup on dead people. Got back to the shelter after toodling around Peterborough, and went to staff meeting, where I found out that three girls had tried to steal nasturtium seeds to get high. WHAT? You can get high on nasturtium seeds? I don't know. I guess they wanted to find out. Apparently, they thought it would be like using morning glory seeds to get high. WHAT? You can get high on morning glory seeds? I guess so. I am learning ALL kinds of things I never wanted to know. I was so disappointed and mad at these girls who should have known better. At this point, I was thrilled to be leaving on my two day vacation.

Yes, I took Thursday and Friday off to participate in some of the Family Convention. It was a glorious break. I slept in, went out to lunch with Mama, Liane, and Melissa on Thursday, made dinner with Fritha- taco salad- went to the talent show in the evening...and on Friday, slept in, hung out at Fairwood in the rain bonding with family and friends...blah blah blah. I'm tired all of a sudden, and I'm going to end this rambly post.

3 comments:

KW said...

hey! Yer back! Hurray! Thanks for posting.
That stuff was great to hear about!

Booker said...

Glad to hear you are learning so much. Sad it has to be what it is tho...

Kristi said...

'Twas so lovely to see your dear self, Claire! I wish I could see you and Brad more often. :-(