Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Living in an Inspirational Poster

Brad and I have recently been house/dog-sitting for Brad's boss who has a lovely little house on Granite Lake. While there we haven't done much stuff with the laptop- thus the recent drought of posts.

Thanks to all who sent support and love our way on Sunday, Andrew's birthday. It was much more difficult than I had anticipated; your prayers, emails, and even a card (! First time I ever received a card for someone else's birthday!) were very much appreciated. . .After church and some visiting, I retreated back to Sally's with Daddy, Mama, Melissa and Laura. We had a very peaceful, enjoyable time on the lake...It was perfect weather - the height of New Hampshire glory. Most of us went out in either the kayak or rowboat at one point or another. As Melissa glided away from us on the kayak, she shouted back," I feel like I'm in an inspirational poster!" And she looked it too; all she needed was a gold frame around her and a caption below her like,"COURAGE" or "DETERMINATION."

Earlier in the weekend, we had Nate and Penny over to our temporary lake abode. Before they arrived, Brad and I had gone out in the rowboat and it was a rather wobbly affair - neither of us having much experience with such things. ( Although, I have to say, to his credit, Brad was well on his way to mastering this skill before too long...) When Nate arrived on the scene, he plopped himself in the rowboat and LITERALLY ZOOMED away with amazing precision and speed. We had a great time communing with Pen and Nate. First, we were driven from the living room by a strong, rank smell - methinks it had something to do with the dog. Dogs are like that. From thence, we exited to the porch...and were driven from there by the bugs...to the guestroom. It was a rather pathetic and hilarious sight - all four of us crowded into the small bedroom, talking, brainstorming etc.

Odd anecdote: The other day I said, " The early bird gets the worm" and I had to EXPLAIN it to some of the girls because they'd never heard of it before! So I came home and told Brad and he was like, "The early bird? Gets the worm?? Whaaaat?!!" So I started to explain it to HIM! I thought, HOW could this man of almost 28 years go through life without hearing this common maxim??!! And then of course, I realized he was pulling my leg.

4 comments:

ljm said...

Pulling your leg??? WHAAAT?

Booker said...

sounds like Bradley has been a bad boy. You need to discipline him, harshly :) hehehehe...

redsoxwinthisyear said...

"We" were driven from the room by the rank smell, or you were? Poor dog, with your bionic nose it sounds like he doesn't even have a chance to be tolerated.

melrandall said...

I mentioned to Nate how impressed you were with his sweet skills in rowing, and he divulged that before that day, he hadn't rowed in YEARS (and was thus pleasantly surprised himself at his proficiency). So be even more impressed! For Nate, life's challenges are just like riding a bike...

Thanks again for providing a nice, quiet retreat on Sunday. Love you.