Thursday, April 07, 2005

Badminton

In today's news: I played badminton for half an hour with three girls at my place of employment. It was a huge amount of fun! I got way into it and the girls were amused with my commentary and said I was "animated." Truly! That was their exact word! But the sad thing was, I am so out of shape that my right arm is now a little sore. Sore! From half an hour's worth of badminton. Outrageous. I am afraid I am as flabby as a noodle.( Although, I WAS using a tennis racket, not a true badminton racket...) ( The girls said some other funny stuff, stuff that made me perk up mentally and say to myself, " Gotta put THAT in the blog..." and then I forgot it. Rrgh.) But it was the highlight of my day to play with them; there's something about playing badminton that makes me truly myself and comfortable with people. I suppose if I have any job interviews in the future, they should be held during games of badminton.

Playing badminton brings up all sorts of good family memories...whether it be in Milford at Grandpa and Grandma's, in Essex, or at Chestnut Hill... I remember playing many games of it, sometimes with Liane, sometimes with Andrew. ( I have a picture taken on the day I graduated highschool...I was in my graduation dress, playing a game of badminton with Andrew.) I don't remember Karena playing so much...but what I do remember about her was the time she was laughing so hard that she cried, fell down and laid on the grass, overcome with mirth at Grandpa Sawtelle's antics with a badminton racket. ( I am remembering this correctly, aren't I?) I think we have a picture somewhere in the family collection...She looks like a slain deer, crumpled gracefully on the grass.

4 comments:

ljm said...

Ha ha,
No, I think she was just tired of being crushed by the mighty badminton arm of Liane!
And, I do recall that your badminton playing has always been animated. Dive! Dont be shy!

KW said...

HA! Not...I was indeed laughing at Grandpa
as I remember it. I remember the picture--
even the dreadful argyll socks I was wearing.

Where I used to work in Oxford, people used to play
badminton on their lunch break. I could have joined
them, but there are always one or 2 competitive athletic types who will end up ruining it for me with their irrational, insensitive behaviour towards other players. After having been burned too many times over the years, I say why bother even playing when such freaks exist to ruin things! Yikes...better stop this passionate essay before it turns into a blog within a blog!

karena

Anonymous said...

Well hello bradclaire,

Your writings on the topic of "badminton" (as well as any other topic) are enlightening and fun and enjoyable to read. It also calls to mind many fond memories of playing the game of badminton. Thanks for the chuckle:-)

Aaron said...

I love badminton. I would have already set up my net set this year, but unfortunately our lawn is still covered in mud!
Aaron