Monday, April 11, 2005

Et tu, Lambykins?

My schedule change started today so I got up at the blessed hour of 6:00 a.m. instead of 5:41! What a difference 19 minutes makes! Unfortunately, I used that time to dream a very odd thing. I had a dream that I was in some sort of competition where I had to swim underwater under a withering hail of bullets. Hmmmm. Can we say "Stressed out?" The losers died I guess. WEird. I woke up before I actually took part...I wonder if my unusual dreams have anything to do with the fact that Brad and I do Madlibs together before we go to bed. That and the Bible. What a combo.

Today it seems that EVERYONE in the grocery store was in collusion to get in my way at least once while I cruised the aisles. Some people even dared to do it twice! It was like " Annoy Claire Day" in Hannafords. It's so funny because outwardly I say, " That's okay!" when people apologize for virtually throwing themselves in front of my cart, forcing me to pull up the reins and lean backward to avoid trampling them( yes, we are still talking about Hannafords, not the Circle K ranch) but inwardly, I am ramming them with said cart. Sigh. This isn't an ART GALLERY, FOLKS! You don't need to move at such a glacial speed! Maybe they're in some sort of slow time warp. (I guess the phenomenon of bodies seeming to hurl themselves in front of my cart might have something to do with the fact that I gallop through the store with the speed of a cheetah, flinging all my purchases into the cart and hastening on energetically as if I were on one of those crazy shopping sprees...Well, a tad of an exaggeration but still... ) Why this carnality? Why this short fuse? Patience seems to continually elude my grasp. Maybe I can chalk it up to being Monday. Come on, Friday! The weekend is but a few long days away.

I just read this blog over the phone to Brad and he said that it was a little gritchy but that I could keep it that way...with one condition. I have to find something positive to say to balance out all the edginess. Hmmmm. Okay! I'll mention a funny sight I saw yesterday that made me chuckle and run for the camera. The sheep in our backyard are messy creatures with poor hygeine. They don't seem to know or care that they have wisps of straw or mounds of burs caked all over their faces and bodies. But what I saw yesterday afternoon topped all. I saw one of the sheep with a stick jutting out of the wool on the back of his neck, as if he had been stabbed by one of the other barnyard animals. It looked completely absurd. It was almost like a "Kick Me" sign or something. The poor thing lay there calmly, gazing at me with a blank, bewildered air, as I scampered around taking its picture like a paparazzi gone insane.

I kind of smile to think that God compares us to sheep...Okay...so I'm smiling now...Yes, it seems that a little of the gritchiness is wearing off...I guess I can publish this, now that I'm leaving you on a more cheerful note.

6 comments:

ljm said...

Ha,
I recently considered blogging about grocery shopping which I hate...The cheapest place here is Meijer (like a super Walmart) and, the prices are good but I think every time I go,(with all due respect) it's senior citizens day or something....Horribly frustrating. People just park themselves all over the place and are totally oblivious! I've started going early in the morning to avoid the elderly rush!

Linds said...

Thanks for the laugh! Sorry it came at the expense of a bad-day-for-Claire...

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wealth of amusing entries you've compiled since I last visited your blog ( not long ago either!). I sure can relate to your shopping woes; I also tend to CHARGE around the store and it inevitably leads to near collisions with other shoppers. Add to that my totally unwieldy toddlers car cart and you have a disaster waiting to happen . So I've just been slowing down and trying to make myself as unabtrusive as possible. Ho hum.
And yes, badmington is a delightful game, unless of course you're facing into the wind!
~Ruth

KW said...

Had a vision of you doing mad-libs when
you are an old lady. You are sooo funny.
I should try that out sometime, as I'm
sure it would make for some interesting
dreams.

Speaking of gritchy...after re-reading what I wrote
about badminton and overly competitive people,
I will have to say I probably overreacted, and
apologize if that got under anyone's skin. Still
have to say ..I HAVE been burned.

Anonymous said...

Claire! I was seized with a wave of warm fuzzies at your gritchiness. Did you know that you are one of my absolute favorite bloggers? (shhh) And speaking of shopping woes, navigating in WalMart after all the dinky little Israeli shops felt like cruising down the freeway. I was sure to be run over at any minute! Not to mention the fact that I was befuddled with severe sensory overload, what with the sheer size and volume of things to look at. ~Lisa

Shari said...

Awww . . . you guys have sheep!! How cool is that? I've lived in suburban California all my life, and I somehow still managed to obtain a strange love for sheep and goats. Our city and the surrounding cities actually employ shepherds (this is 40 minutes outside of Los Angeles, mind you) to have their flocks of sheep graze the fields to cut back on fire danger and to keep the fields groomed. I LOVE seeing these sheep and hunt for them whenever I'm driving on our local freeways (they can occasionally be seen from the freeway).

I don't collect sheep items, but I do have a few really cool sheep pieces that I love. I would love to own an acre of land someday and have a sheep and a few goats. Sheep remind me of my faith and how much it means to me, so every time I see them, I feel overjoyed. Weird, to get that excited over sheep and lambs and goats, but I really do. :-)