Saturday, April 16, 2005

Birth of a Cuss Word

Sometimes using the behavior management system at work can produce hilarious results. Most of the time it's pretty stressful when you have to do "reminder" points - which are, in layman's terms, negative points- but once in a while you can find humor springing up in the most unexpected places. Take yesterday, for example. One of the girls swore right in front of me and so we had to do reminder points. As part of the 'teaching interaction' we have them do something to rectify the situation and thus they can earn half of the points back - it's called an earnback, strangely enough. In this situation, I said that her earnback had to be coming up with an alternate word/s to express her frustration- a pretty standard earnback for this type of situation. She settled upon the word "shish kebob" as her new cuss word, which was fairly hilarious in the first place. Somehow it seems a little unweildy and complicated to be a swear. So, I had her write it on her point sheet to document the earnback, thinking that the other staff who saw it would get a good laugh. One thing you have to know is that 90% of the girls at the Shelter are not star spellers. This girl was no exception. Her spelling of her new cuss word was rendered, " Sickabob." I thought that was so funny, I practically dissolved onto the floor with laughter.

Do you know that you can spell shish kebob several different ways? I DO know that sickabob is NOT how you spell it but I wasn't sure what the correct spelling was so I looked it up on dictionary.com. You can spell it 'shish kebab' or...Brad just said, " Do you think people really need to know this?"

6 comments:

Booker said...

Sounds like Bradley is grumpy :)

KW said...

Hi guys!

Bradley are you grumpy?haha

Sickabob is practically a tongue twister...
maybe would help hamper the urge to swear..

-karena

Anonymous said...

Holy Shish Kabob!

Brad's lack of faith in my curiosity forced my to dictionary.com myself.

Not only are there three ways to spell it but I learned how to say "burn" in old Akkadian. (ah the wonders of the Internet).

KMS said...

I was just discussing the spelling of the word with someone this week--I promise! He said "shishkabob," I said "shishkebab." We were both right.

"Sickabob" reminds me of when I worked at a magazine publishing company and compiled over 20 different ways that people actually spelled "canceled" on their invoices. It was a country music magazine, and most of the misspellings came out of Tennessee. Was your girl from Tennessee? (Just kidding.)

I love your blog.

Kendra

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everyone else left comments, because I was in dire suspense about the spelling and thought I might have to look it up myself. Some people really care about these things! I can't help it! Really!

Gretchen

Shari said...

I'm so glad I stumbled across this because "Shish Kabob" is going to be my new phrase for when I'm frustrated. I try not to swear because I don't really think God wants to hear it (LOL!) but I've always needed something to say instead of sh*t when I bang my finger or something. My siblings and I actually joke around a lot with swear words because growing up in a very legalistic Christian home, we weren't allowed even to say gosh or anything remotely close to taking God's name in vain or cussing. So now we like to tease our parents (since they've softened and become full of grace) and give them a hard time about it. It's all in fun, but once we have kids, I DO want to be really, really careful about what comes out of our mouths. So Shish Kabob it is!! LOL!