Thursday, April 28, 2005

Happy to be Wimpy

So...the classroom/attic/offices in the barn/extension of the Shelter are almost empty. ( We've been working all week moving stuff out to the new portable classroom and the portable storage container next door.) The girls are getting pretty tired of moving things...and their cooperation is waning. Some of them took their frustration out on the furniture, I think. Well, when I say 'furniture' I mean big old plywood cubbies that were rickety to begin with. The speed with which they moved them out of the attic, down the stairs, and out to the truck was almost breathtaking. I started out the day in the crypt-like basement with two girls, cleaning out old cabinets of junk - everything from tools to jars of old bolts to buckets of dried out joint compound...and then we were supposed to move the cleaned out cabinets - which were very decrepit- out to the trash pile by the dumpster. I knew FOR SURE that I was not going to be able to get those cabinets up the stairs ...but fortunately, the girls I was working with were ambitious and strong and took on the job like amazons. I felt rather wimpy but I didn't really care; I was just glad I didn't have to haul those things up the stairs. Hey- that's what I'm getting paid for - to watch the girls work! Really! ( No- I actually did some heavy lifting later on...)When one of girls couldn't get a good hand hold on the back of a cabinet, she took a hammer and literally TORE OFF THE BACK OF THE CABINET...( partly with her bare - or were they gloved?- hands). I was extremely impressed and told her she should work on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" as part of a demolition team. One good thing about moving the stuff was that we didn't have to be careful about not damaging the walls etc. ( good thing because those girls were going like tazmanian devils and seemed not to know the meaning of the word caution) because the whole barn/extension of the house is slated to be demolished on...MONDAY! Perty excitin' stuff.

1 comment:

Booker said...

Man,I wish I could bash furniture around and break stuff up. All I ever get to do is cut down trees and boring stuff like that :-(

Should've gotten in on the mayhem claire. now the chance is gone...