Friday, April 08, 2005

"That is Garbage, Mister! GAOW-BEDGE!" - Homestar

When I found that today's schedule included me being in charge of "Recycling", I stifled an inward groan. The last trip I took to the "Antrim Transfer Station" ( a.k.a. "The Dump"...Why do they bother trying to glamorize the Dump by tacking a fake moniker onto it like "Transfer Station"? I am not fooled.) was a couple of months ago, and it was a miserable, slow, cold experience. But what a difference the spring makes! I needn't have feared today's venture. No freezing winds to battle with as we sorted the recyclables in the back yard...No two feet of snow to flounder about in...No frigid hands...Instead, it was sunny and warm; it was positively a JOY to scatter scores of plastic milk cartons on the grass and stomp on them and put them, and tin cans, in their respective bags...And the three girls I worked with were cooperative and good natured - thrilled, in fact, just to get out of the house for a while. It went quickly, and somehow, digging around in bins of yucky old recyclables was fun...because we were outside in the spring sunshine! It was a great ending to a very long week. I guess I will go back to work on Monday!

No comments: