Thursday, June 09, 2005

My Nauseous, Bagpipey Day

Soon after I finished posting last night, I felt a strange illness creep onto me. I went very quickly from feeling a little off to feeling like I was possessed by a bunch of nauseous eels. I lay on the floor next to the bathroom, ready to launch myself therein should the need arise to throw up.
I went to bed early and awoke feeling better. But the loathesome nausea returned as I drove to work. I had to fish around and find a plastic grocery bag to keep by my side in case I should need an emergency receptacle. ( Otherwise known as a barf bag- for those of you who are named Liane. Sorry- I just HAD to say that.) I felt rather lurchy most of the morning and was constantly aware of the route to the nearest wastebasket or bathroom but I didn't want to give up and come home. Nothing like sick hours being taken out of your PTO to incentivize you to stay healthy...or at least PRETEND you're healthy. Plus, my colleague, Donna ( the other TA) was out today as her hours are different this week. So, I really couldn't leave. Fortunately, by some incredible stroke of luck, I had asked last week if I could use some comp time today...Little did I know then how grateful I would be that I had planned to leave early today.

As I watched some girls play badminton this morning during PE ( you know I'm really sick if I refuse to play badminton), I suddenly heard the sound of a bagpipe, loud and clear, wafting over the air. Apparently, there was a funeral going on at the church down the street. It was so unearthly and strange. One of the girls said, " That sounds like Egyptian music!" Um. Well...In a word: I don't think so. My Scottish blood took umbrage. The nerve! Mixing us up with Egyptians! But the rest of me was too blaghh-feeling to be deeply offended...In fact, I really felt amused. Right hemisphere, anyway. Actually, don't they have some sort of reedy, harsh-sounding instrument in the Middle East that could sort of be misconstrued as a bagpipe...? Perhaps she wasn't too far off.

I just finished reading a book I legally purloined on my last visit to the Antrim Recylcing Center. ( A.K.A. the Dump.) ( There is a great swap shop of free junk there, and I have been known to pick up a book or two.) Anyway, I last read "Tuck Everlasting" in third or fourth grade; it was introduced to me by my beloved teacher, Leslie Roland. It is a charming story, beautifully written, thought provoking, etc. and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED that book! I remember being totally mesmerized by it...There's a movie, but don't watch it-- it ruins the story.

I hope that your shrieking eels of nausea flee quickly!

Anonymous said...

Hey I so loved the movie. But I have not read the book so I don't know if it is any good..
I hope you feel better soon..

Booker said...

Hope u feel better and you can tell bradley to "watchout" for busybodies, cause you never know when they might appear or what they may do. I mock him... hahahaahahaha :)

KW said...

I laughed right out loud at the "In a word: I don't think so".
Reminds me of the "deal with it" moment...

Anonymous said...

A couple translations (including the NASV and ESV) list bagpipes among the list of instruments to be played at the worship of Nebuchadnezzar's statue in Daniel 3.

I always wondered about that and if there were any bagpipe-like-instruments in ancient Mesopotamia that would prompt such a translation.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad

Really cool new look on your blog title! Knew it was probably you I should
address this to:) Also thanks for 'wishing' me a bouquet ...I was really
touched:)