Thursday, March 23, 2006

Two Things that Have Nothing to Do With Each Other

To most of you, it won't be news that I really like listening to NPR...even though I don't always agree with the political slant and worldview of some of the programs...They actually do have some good stuff. And compared to the shrill, crass commercialization of the AM stations- which I also listen to sometimes- there is an air of calmness, order, and peacefulness on NPR. AM people are wild-eyed, frantic, frothy, screaming maniacs. NPR people use measured, smooth, dulcet tones. ( I must credit Brad for providing me with that last adjective. Dulcet- another million dollar word.)

Well, you know how NPR stations have these fund raising drives several times a year? They try to convince you that you should fork over some money because they make programs you listen to. I have listened to pledge drives for about fifteen years and never called in or given a cent.( Yes, I listen to pledge drives. That shows how die-hard I am, I guess.) Am I an ungrateful little leach? The way I see it, if I should give money to support the programs I appreciate...what about the programs that I don't appreciate? Can I TAKE money from them for those programs that contain biased/uber-liberal/fuzzy thinking? Or jazz? I don't appreciate jazz. Can I take $120 a year for the jazz programs I don't listen to? I figure it all kind of cancels out in the end...

Last night after dinner, as Grandpa and I relaxed in the living room at Nate and Pen's, I started playing the guitar and singing. As I finished one song, Grandpa spoke up and said one of the nicest things that anyone has ever said to me. I can't remember the exact wording but it went something like this: " If there are ever any people in the world who want to start a war, you should sing for them and they'll forget all about going to war." Wow. So I guess I better start packing my suitcases for my war-stopping tour of the world.

8 comments:

ljmax said...

Yep, those have nothing to do with each other...but maybe you could sing some jazz tunes on your guitar for NPR?

Carrie F said...

NPR ROCKS!!! Your blog makes me laugh my head off. It is rolling around on the ground right now!

TripleNine said...

You know ljmax has a good point there. You are definitely a lot better than some of the wacko's that they play. Your brother was a genius at finding all the NPR nuts.

redsoxwinthisyear said...

NPR's soothing, calming qualities distinctly remind me of a certain serpent, who was also known to say things that sounded "good," even while leading a certain woman astray! Personally, I think it's a plot to make palatable their insidious and undoubtedly evil (yet subtle) agenda. But feel free to be poisoned if you wish... Heh, heh, how's that for laying down a guilt trip?

melbrown said...

smooth n smarmy...

I'm fond of NPR weekends (especially the random Valley Folk lady who seems to talk to herself more than to her 12am audience), but when politics become involved I tend to want to smash things.

p.s. I'd have to agree with Grandpa P. on the dulceticity of your singing...

Shay Dawg said...

wow..that was a nice compliment! are you a words of aff person?

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

G'Pa is right aboot yer singin' and guitar pickin'!!! 8~)
Hmmm... ...I'm wunderin' if ol' Nebuchadnezzar's Dulcimers sounded dulcet...

CARmelo said...

I give throw my hat in with the others...I especially like your version of "You need to be still". When I was singing...or should I say trying to sing it to my group...I prefaced it with "you should here this song sung by my friend
Claire"....cuz I don't do it justice...so again I say amen to the previous stroking of your ego